Saturday, August 22, 2009

Last weekend I was blessed to be able to see Kruger National Park. Not only did I throughly enjoy Kruger, but I think even more so, the drive home the following day. To describe the drive through the canyons and valleys would be to describe the way Beethoven's fifth moves the heart to swell and burst with joy. Predictable, but always surprising and lovely and inspiring. I will forever remember the little specks of green that dotted the hills and the way the clouds hung over the mountains.

But i didn't want to talk about that now. I wanted to just express the joy in my heart for slowly finding friends here. I mean, I haven't by any means found the depth of love and understanding and joy that I have in my friends back home. But I also felt like it would take forever to meet people and find a church....and its my fourth week and I have a "group" that I love and feel a part of and enjoy.

Today, I walked to Leah's and first of all put on my lovely apron from anthropolgie, then started preparing guacamole (carrie's recipe!), my favorite, then we made/hosted "America day." It was such fun, doing American things with them and hanging out with people my age. We took them on a drive through the farm, and at the dam the boys wanted to go canoeing, which shouldn't have been a problem. But,they tipped. It was hilarious, (mind you, it is WINTER here!) they were freezing. We were all the way at the back of the farm on the mountain so it was a long way home in freezing cold clothes. We got back to the HopeHouse and found clothes for the boys to wear, and they showered while we put their clothes in the dryer.

We played 30 seconds which is similar to our Taboo, but I like it better. It was 3 on 4, and I was with Matty, Fritz, and Richard. I kept having to reign them in because we'd get one answer correct and they would celebrate right then, while our time drifted away. However, we won, so its all good. :) We taught them phase 10 and just sat around watching rugby, and talking. It was so fun....

I'm so exhausted and need to sleep but I wanted to post these photos quick.

Also, Missy, I am SO excited for you and Isaak! I read your blog with tears in my eyes today and I am just praising God for this little one you're gonna love as your own. :)

THis is elephant poop. I'd get SO excited whenever I would see it because I knew it meant an elephant was close by (if it was fresh poop like this that is...)














I just think this is such a cute photo of elephant butts...














































I love this photo. It was so cloudy the beginning part of the day and I feel like the B&W made all my photos something more magical and mysterious and lovely. This was called "the Pinnacle"















We hiked for a bit when we got to God's window. At the top-ish half of the hike was this small rainforest. I know the photos do not to it justice, but it was just like the rainforests I was in when we were in Hawaii. I couldn't believe it.















This is Blade River Canyon. It was lovely.


















Love this photo. I loved these flowers so much, I just watched them sway in the breeze for quite a few moments. I love how the colors are so bright red and deep blue in the sky.















I love how the sun is shining through the clouds.














I felt on top of the world. I felt so perfectly in my place...



































You can't beat a good South African sunset :)














Also, the kids are getting better and better in school! THis week they learned my name. It was the highlight of the week to say every few moments "hello bekah, hello bekah, hello bekah" over and over and over again. They also learned that when they saw "please bekah, please bekah" I will most likely do whatever it is they want. With the fact that there are 5 languages going on at a time, I am pretty impressed with these small steps! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment