Tuesday, September 15, 2009

kept meaning to say


I kept meaning to write about the things some parents say since I arrived. I've just never found the words.
Words either flow or they don't.
I've always been of the opinion you should
NEVER
force something to come out
that is so clearly
trying
to stay inside.

So, I
don't
really have the words today.
but I wanted to share anyway.

Above, you'll see me and Matthew.
My little man.

We hang-out like this a lot.
Him on my back.
Tied tight with a towel.
Only,
not tied.
but twisted. Which,
is the proper African way.
I'll just have to show you....

His dad saw me doing this the very first time I tried.
I didn't realize it was something "special."
I would still have done it, but just differently I guess.
Apparently only family does this.
When I carried him on my back
via towel
it signified unrelenting love
and
security.

I had no idea.

From that day on, the boys became "my boys."
My family,
my own children.
As if I carried them for nine months and labored to see them enter this world.
I didn't.
But if you asked these parents, they'd say I did.

If they ask how my family is and I forget and only answer about dad and mom, and my siblings back home,
they will say
"and your boys? how are they today?"
they never let me forget
I have 5 little African babies
who
are my own.

Never has a white girl done this before,
only
me.
and I love carrying them in
this way.
And showing that I love the way their culture
lives
on in me to
"our" children.

Humbling.
and
crazy, no?

I guess God really is answering my prayer for children and boys at that! HA! I never thought it'd be like this...but I sure do love all my little men.

No comments:

Post a Comment