Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Favorite Books from 09

wow...can't believe its taken me 18 days to get this list out. Normally I am chomping at the bit to write about books.
books books books!
there can NEVER be enough to fill my days. I read some wonderful books this past year. Here are my ten favorite.

  1. Healing the Scars of Emotional Abuse
    1. By far the best book I read this year. It took me 7 months to read it because I really tried to apply what it talked about. No book has given me more value in the way things with Jordan transpired, nor presented a more Biblical holistic approach to healing. It was a "fighters" book as it was not an easy read...but for the first time ever, the two weeks before Christmas, I saw the first glimmers of "Rebekah" return (with a vengeance.) The Lord used this book so much. I HIGHLY recommend it to every pastor, and every person who was abused. All abuse starts with emotional wear and tear and then escalates...this book is so healing.
  2. The Furious Longing of God
    1. O Brennon...this was a very fast read (a day or two), but SO good. It was very instrumental in helping me view myself as loved and sought after again. I say it over and over to my family and friends and might as well here too (if I haven't already?!?), but, we (you, me; humans) are TERRIBLY forgetful creatures. The more I can remind myself that God's love for me is fierce and passionate and covering the better I am. Things get jackadity when I forget my place in His sight. I am His dearly beloved. Period. So are you, too.
  3. Little Women
    1. It took me being asked to co-direct/stage manage the Broadway Musical version of this story at a local College for me to read it. Boy am I glad I did. It took me a little bit to get into the story, but once I did, I loved it! I felt such a kinship with each of the girls. What a marvelous classic.
  4. Rethinking the Church: A challenge to Creative Redesign in an Age of Transition
    1. This was a textbook for a grad class I had. It wasn't like a "mind-blowing" book in that it presented new ideas...but it did call pastors and people in ministry to question why they do what they do. To me, that is almost as vital and important and what I love about ministry: the constant changing dynamics needed to reach hurting people with LOVE. It is very practical and well written. I wish more churches evaluated the ministries they have/do for effectiveness. 
  5. Telling the Truth: The Gospel as Tragedy, Comedy, Fairy Tale.
    1. I love Frederick. so much. so very much. I love how he uses "story" to tell THE story. This book is prophetic, lovely, challenging and delightful (much like every book of his). I love his argument for how we'll never "reach" anyone without first explaining the tragedy of life, the comedy of the gospel and its fairy tale too...The child who has never lost imagination and love of fairy tales simple adores this book. Its as relevant today as it was when it was written 30 years ago.
  6. Bringing up Boys.
    1. Does this book count? I had 13 pages left to finish before New Years. So technically, it should be '10 book. Whatever. This book was "borrowed" to me since I have ALL boys in school. Let me tell you. It was a wonderfully insightful book. The statistics are sad, there are few "men" in the World. Boys will or will not grow into men depending on how they are raised and loved and taught in their very young years. I feel such a heavy burden to teach my little men to grow into real men. Very practical and helpful for a novice in parenting and general boy rearing as me.
  7. Searching for God Knows What
    1. I feel its cheating to include this book. I read it twice before. But I fell in love with it ALL over again last April while reading it in Yosemite and the great Redwood forests. It is such an instrumental book in my view of life and God and culture. His frank honest writing is something few can duplicate. His discussion on Shakespeare being a prophet revolutionized the way I read those classics. I could go on and on...but I just adore this book. 
  8. Beyond Sex Roles: What the Bible Says on a Women's place in Church and Family
    1. Another textbook for a grad class. This class was very controversial (I LOVED IT!!) and I learned so much. This book was a very harmonious account of both sides of the gender debate that gets way to heated, plus a newer twist, for good measure, of course. His discussion on the fall and redemption is beautiful and I just EAT this stuff up (theology/culture mixing).
  9. Going Rouge
    1. What a surprising read! Seriously. I'm still a bit speechless. I have two main thoughts after finishing this book. 1)Sarah's political viewpoints are well articulated, well thought-out, and right on. Less governmental control, can I hear an AMEN!? 2)I was disappointed in how she handled her faith. I guess I just would have wished for more from her. It was all wishy washy "politically correct" which is so NOT how the rest of the book was I was surprised. Wish I read this before the last election, but anyway...I am a very big Palin supporter now.
  10. Sex God
    1. First time reading a Rob Bell book. I enjoyed how he described relationships. I enjoyed how he wrote about God becoming human. I would tend to agree with him that everything we do here on earth mirrors Heaven and our Creator, so naturally sex would fall in that category. I also think it is a very misunderstood and not talked about subject in the church.  My favorite chapter was: under the Chuppah, I just remember thinking it was brilliant how he brought about the Jewish tradition of the Chuppah and how it was meant to be for just the husband and wife...to often I've seen too many "side players" get involved in marriages, and through I am more than 120% for accountability in marriages (and individual lives), I just think one or at most, two people, is suitable for that. No more. If you're gonna talk about your spouse it better be in a respectable and encouraging manner. I find it amusing how Bell is such a controversial subject/person in church circles, but thats another story...
........................
A friend sent me this link and I think it is RIGHT on. The article is "10 ways to encourage a missionary".
i've gotten asked a lot recently how/what you can do for me. here are ten very well thought out things. i'd have to agree with the entire list....and stress
#6: i can't tell you how special it is and wonderful to hear how/what is going on in the lives of people i love back home. you wouldn't believe how "silent" it is from home when on the field. seriously...the lack of real communication with what is going on in family/friends lives is sad. i want to and enjoy hearing how things are for you.
and
#8: i can't tell you how, uh, elevated people have made me. and i know growing up i idolized missionaries but i guess now that i "am" one i realize how utterly silly that is. in fact, besides the fact that i'm living in another culture and living on faith that God will provide each month for me, i really am no different and certainly no better than anyone else at home. and in fact, i know a lot of amazing people at home living on faith too...so, just remember i'm human too.

the rest of the list fantastic. i couldn't have said it all better. and in case you wanted to follow through on a lil package or good ole fashioned snail mail:
Rebekah Strangarity
Postnet Suite 20, Private Bag X2449
Mokopane, 0600
South Africa
........
and for good measure, here is perfect and i this morning:

we also made some videos....hopefully tomorrow i'll get those up! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment