because this is long and i might lose you... go here, first. nothing but that really matters.
(at least, today *smiles*)
........................
I first heard about LOVE146 three years ago, I think.
I don' really remember.
Friends of ours are "married" into the band Ten Shekel Shirt.
Our family, because of that, became big supporters of the band.
They made good music, it wasn't hard to like them.
Abi even had our cousin play one of their songs at her wedding.
It was lovely.
The lead singer and his wife joined up with Love146. They toured all over the slums and brothels in Cambodia.
They came home and wrote an entire album based on their experience of seeing the slave trade up close.
That album is called: Jubilee.
buy it.
but, wait...you did know the slave trade is still alive and well?
even though it is BANNED in every country in the world. Almost every country
in the world exports or imports slaves.
terrible...
It was about 6 months prior to hearing about love146 that I picked up a book called:
"ending slavery: how we free today's slaves" by kevin bales.
He's a freakin genius. (he started:Free the slaves)
Somehow (the Lord) I stumbled upon the book in the library.
It freaked me out a lot.
One of the main "hubs" of slavery in Africa is in the EXACT city/county I lived and worked in during the fall of '03.
It freaked me out knowing the children I saw, children I held, children I sang to and spent time with in schools were more than likely in slavery.
....and I saw them.
touched them...
and had no idea.
NO IDEA!
I still don't know what to do about that... knowing I was there, I feel more responsible for doing more. For having done more...
..............................
sara groves has started doing a lot with: International Justice Mission. Everytime she has a concert in the area I'll go and talk with Troy (her husband) for a bit afterward. Troy was actually part of the documentary crew that filmed this video that I'm in in that exact part of West Africa. We keep in touch by hanging out every year or so when Sara is in town. it's nice. but the point is, that her passion opened my eyes and made me grab Kevin's book in the first place. thank you sara and troy for always inspiring me to do more...by loving more.
.............................................
it makes me sick knowing little girls as old as my precious niece are lined up in brothels the world over and sold for disgusting acts. their childhood ripped away, their innocence marred.
something isn't right that today there are more slaves in the world then in the entire history of the world combined!
if you're interested, this is a LONG but good read from Hilary/state department from last year. It is the year end Trafficking report.
last fall, in Litiz, PA there was a large "bust" freeing slaves. it wasn't advertised, but if you know the right people, you find out these things...
Friends, that is my backyard! The town I grew up in is right next door, not 20 minutes away!
every day, on average 39 people are smuggled into the US to work as slaves, that is 14,235 a year.
that is 14,235 more than what it should be.
and that is the US...overseas the numbers sky rocket....
...........................
Here is something easy and practical you can do!
A "friend" of mine, Holly Reynolds is a phenomenal photographer out of Lancaster. I love Holly's photos and her heart. She's fallen in love with Love146 and is offering up her talents and money to do something about the slave trade.
Would you take just a minute of your time today and go to her website and vote on your favorite photo. She has created a "Valentine Album."All YOU need to do is vote on ONE photo and Holly and her husband are donating to Love146 for Valentine's Day. Also, by voting you'll be entered into a contest to win a free photo shoot with Holly.
uh, could it be any better?!
helping end slavery and a chance to win a photo shoot?
i submit, it cannot!
here is my favorite of the album. no pressure to vote on this one, but i wanted to give you a sample as encouragement to go and vote yourself.
Please take a minute and go here to place your vote.
if, like the chapmans (hey neighbors!), you aren't able to comment on blog sites, send me a message (bekah.strangarity@gmail.com) and i'll make sure Holly gets your name and your vote and you're entered into the contest to win.
thanks for joining the fight to end slavery.
The Top Sites For Playing 3d Pokies
5 years ago

loved going to this sight and voting Bek. also grat typing/video chatting with you this am mom
ReplyDeleteBekah May...you missed that name I think lol.....I thoroughly enjoy the privilege of "reading" your heart through your blogs! I too was the ultimate mental judger of divorce. forgive me MY LORD and friends! brokeness is not strenght in our American mentality, but it sure is in GOD'S economy. sorry my learning came at your expense...probably cause i would not have been strong enough to endure, etc. at any rate honey....go change the world one person at a time and KNOW you are beautiful, powerful, and a pleasant aroma to a dying world! love ya soooo much. mom posted other comments under anon.
ReplyDeleteI voted, which I told you on facebook too! What an awesome idea...really makes me think about my own photography and more ways in which I can use it to help. I know I do the Portrait Project, but that is very local, this was such a cool, easy idea to help something far away. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDelete